+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dynatech Header Problems

I get a P0153 code and #5 & #7 plug wires burning quite often. This tells me that the sensor is not getting hot enough because it happens when I am cruising at low speeds. The heat is going somewhere and it is burning the plug wires. I tried using some sort of asbestos cloth wrap designed for spark plugs. Well, all it does is delay the inevitable burning of the wires. What is the solution?

I am trying Thermotec header wraps with a lot of frustration. The instructions are pure lies. You measure the length of the header and for every bend, add 8 inches. Well, my headers have 3 bends so that is 24 inches. I did that and it was short. OK, next tube I will add 32 inches instead of 24. Guess what? Short again. WTF???

I need to reduce the underhood temps to stop the burn. However, the headers are so close to the frame that at certain RPMs it wil knock as can be seen by the shiny metal frame where it contacts the header.

Can I use a ceremic coating that is commercially applied? Would that be as effective as the wrap? TIA

For the heat sounds like the header wrap may be your best salvation at this point. Maybe a "speed shop" in your area can point you in the direction of a powder coater.

Have you looked into some longer plug wires just for the #5 and #7. I know that Magnecor could make you up some custom lengths if need be. Not sure about what kind of $$$ though. Just zap them an e-mail.

Does your PCM have a custom tune? It may be the P0153 DTC could be "tuned out".

Very troubling to hear about these issues. The SuperMaxx system is very pricey to begin with.
    Base: 2004 Victory Red Silverado 1500 2WD RCLB, LR4, 4L60E, 3.73, HD Suspension, P245/75R16 Tires
    Mechanical/Performance: Nelson 93 Octane Tune (See Slamma's CarDomain.Com Page for more details)

man that really does suck....even if you pay to coat them your still gonna have to noch your frame where they hit...
    '13 silverado LT...stock

'11 lt 4x4 z71..tvs1900

'01 gmc twins 6.0 jakes 400 ladder bars w/ coilovers tuned by nelson performance

The problem is that the primaries are so large they are very close to everything. Let me make sure we get this clear. Dynatech had an issue with the driver side header hitting the 4WD DS and they fixed it by having me send it back a couple of times and bending the pipes at their expense. Their customer service is good. It is just that it is a tight fit. Probably will have to notch the frame where it hits tho.

+ Reply to Thread