+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stupid things you've done

Stupid things you've done

Something I did this past weekend, prompted me to create this thread to see what other members did inadvertently - stupid mistakes.

Ok, here goes... I'm putting on my new oil pan, torquing the bolts per the torque specs, 18 and 106... Well long story short, I'm torquing all the bolts and get to the back ones, those long bolts, and I'm pulling away on the ole torque wrench and 'SNAP!', broke the bolt. I was torquing it to 106 ft lbs and not 106 ft in!!!! lol. Quite a difference. Needless to say, stupid f'ing mistake.

Fortunately, it broke above the surface of the pan and I was able to unscrew it by hand,. I'll be sure to have my reading glasses on next time.
    Last edited by rkwhite61; 07-22-2011 at 02:43 PM.

good lord lol. you didnt think twice when you saw 106ft lbs for those little fellas?? i have broken one of those myself though.
    its just a turbo 5.3 that a couple of kids threw together

01 silverado

09 cobalt ss

Quote Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way View Post
    good lord lol. you didnt think twice when you saw 106ft lbs for those little fellas?? i have broken one of those myself though.
    snapped an arp head bolt once, trash in the bottom of the hole. hmm stupid stuff lemme see, oh dove into the water hit a sand berm, broke my neck, walked around for 3 days trying to "pop" my neck cus it felt funny, only to realize i almost made myself a quadrapalegic, fell out of a helicopter, twice only to find out later i exploded 2 discs and broke another one, my tolerance for pain is what usually gets me into trouble
    THEY CALL ME G.

AZRAEL

2017 RZR 1000 2 SEATER
    2023 RZR 1000 XP 4
    2008 LTZ DURAMAX 3500
    2023 300S 5.7
    2023 BUICK ENCORE[/B]

The difference between winning and losing, is having a 2nd stage.

Quote Originally Posted by LamboDoNoMo View Post
    snapped an arp head bolt once, trash in the bottom of the hole. hmm stupid stuff lemme see, oh dove into the water hit a sand berm, broke my neck, walked around for 3 days trying to "pop" my neck cus it felt funny, only to realize i almost made myself a quadrapalegic, fell out of a helicopter, twice only to find out later i exploded 2 discs and broke another one, my tolerance for pain is what usually gets me into trouble
    FINE YOU WIN!!!!!!!!! haha
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

Quote Originally Posted by kerrige View Post
    FINE YOU WIN!!!!!!!!! haha
    yea a lifetime of chronic pain, legs giving out from time to time, and some titanium
    THEY CALL ME G.

AZRAEL

2017 RZR 1000 2 SEATER
    2023 RZR 1000 XP 4
    2008 LTZ DURAMAX 3500
    2023 300S 5.7
    2023 BUICK ENCORE[/B]

The difference between winning and losing, is having a 2nd stage.

Quote Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way View Post
    I know... my dad an uncle were even standing right there questioning it... guess I got to far ahead of myself.. I felt about an inch tall afterwards. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by LamboDoNoMo View Post
    DAMN! You are a lucky man to still be with us.

When I was 14 I built my first motor it was a 460 ford. I spent 2 summers saving money for machine work, pistons,port and polish,and a huge solid cam. I was not sure how to do the valve lash. I called a family friend and he told me to just tighten the nuts all the way down and that would be it. He didnt know that I had screw in studs (dove C heads)installed rather than the stock ones that bolt down the rockers. What was crazy is somehow I was able to make it run but it kept bending pushrods duhhh. It took me a little while to figure out what was wrong. Of corse I didnt know any better until I read a write up in hot rod mag. I saved another summer for new cam, springs, pushrods,retainers and lifters. After a few years I finally got it dialed but I will never forget how I learned the hard way to adj valve lash on a BBF. Years later I tore down that motor to put into a jet boat and found where the valves were tagging the tops of the pistions. I was lucky I didnt smash a few pistions
    That my stupid screw-up story.

Last 4th of July I blew my face up fairly well with a double mortar trying to relight it. Possibly the most stupid thing I have done in my recent life. Somehow managed to walk away without any scars or marks from it though.
    Always buying things I dont need to impress people I dont know

[QUOTE=rkwhite61;435278]

. I was torquing it to 106 ft lbs and not 106 ft in!!!! lol. Quite a difference. Needless to say, stupid f'ing mistake.

did the same this on a 86 300zx front wheel bearing...

+ Reply to Thread