+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4WD question

4WD question

So I have a steep driveway that still has some snow on it. I have the manual 4x4 and when I engaged it, it didn't engage right away. I gave it some gas and heard a pop/clunk noise when it did engage. Is this something I should worry about or not? I was stopped when I engaged it and the front end was in the driveway. Also, I had the wheels turn half way to the left.
    2010 Silverado ECSB LS 4x4. Only mods so far are a K&N drop in filter and a Rough Country 2" front level kit

probably just cold
    1996 gmc ext cab short bed
    6.6L 4l80e
    MY GARAGE

Normal. The manual engagement in those trucks isn't an emergency 4wd so to say. You engage it drive a few feet nicely and it kicks in. Also the G80 locker makes the same noise when it engages. So next time put it in 4x before you get stuck, just easier on parts.
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

LOL. Thanks!
    2010 Silverado ECSB LS 4x4. Only mods so far are a K&N drop in filter and a Rough Country 2" front level kit

mine sounds like someone is hitting it with a sledge hammer and i have to go from 4wd high to neutral then back to 2wd before it will disengage lol but mine needs to be fixed
    2006 Chevy ECSB 5.3 - New L33 Motor,CAI, Descreened MAF, Nelson 93 tune, Transgo Shift Kit, servos, 3in exhaust, Borla, pacetter LT's, and ORY, Aeroforce Furture: stall, cam, 4.10's

What I always do is put trans in N, engage 4wd, shift to R then D and hammer the skinny pedal. This was from advice from the dealership after replacing my transfer case on my 2005 2500 w/ 8.1L.
    - 5.3 Stock Internals - Cal Speed Stainless LT's - 18" Magnaflow - K&N Drop In - Airaid Intake Tube - Nelson Tune -

Shopping List
    - Cam - 3200 Circle D Stall - 10" King Coilover Shocks - 16" King Reservoir Shocks - FG front Fenders - 17" Methods -

Did they say why to do that?

technically you shouldnt have to do this they are suppose to be "shift on the fly" but mine never seems to work you always gotta stop and do it
    2006 Chevy ECSB 5.3 - New L33 Motor,CAI, Descreened MAF, Nelson 93 tune, Transgo Shift Kit, servos, 3in exhaust, Borla, pacetter LT's, and ORY, Aeroforce Furture: stall, cam, 4.10's

I know its suppose to be shift on the fly, but my method sure takes strain off the transfer case. Guy at the dealership told me to do this just to take tension off the gearset. If your truck is on an incline the gearing is in a bind and puts 6,000lbs+ of rolling mass on a tooth face. He just recommended this to prolong my transfercase life, especially if you use 4wd on a weekly basis like I do. I engaged my 4-hi while cruising into a huge sandpit, once the little light stopped flickering and showed 4-hi I hammered the skinny pedal and then Ka-Boom! my transfercase took a crap on me. My friends truck in College Station did the same thing on him, so we do the stop Fwd,Rev thing just in case.

My mom's tahoe shifts perfectly on the go, but then again its 1/2 ton and mine is 3/4 ton setup. If I could, I would much rather have a stick T-case going back to my NP205.
    - 5.3 Stock Internals - Cal Speed Stainless LT's - 18" Magnaflow - K&N Drop In - Airaid Intake Tube - Nelson Tune -

Shopping List
    - Cam - 3200 Circle D Stall - 10" King Coilover Shocks - 16" King Reservoir Shocks - FG front Fenders - 17" Methods -

I always like to stop and engage but have had to engage on the roll before.. Alot of 4wd systems in many trucks make that clunk.. I wouldn't worry about it unless it started making more noise afterwards..

+ Reply to Thread