+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Views on running mids/highs at 2ohms

Views on running mids/highs at 2ohms

Just wondering what everyone thinks about it. I know some infinity speakers have a 2ohm voice coil so I think it couldn't be to bad.

2 ohm is not going to be as good for sound quality. Run your subs on 2 ohm. They don't care. Your highs and mids should be at least 4 ohm.

Check any quality home sound systems. All 8 ohm. The higher the ohm the better the SQ

Quote Originally Posted by SGP93GSX View Post
    2 ohm is not going to be as good for sound quality. Run your subs on 2 ohm. They don't care. Your highs and mids should be at least 4 ohm.

Check any quality home sound systems. All 8 ohm. The higher the ohm the better the SQ
    It is true what he said, 2 ohm speakers will draw more power. I think it will be alright as long as you dont blare it. Are you running an amp to your mids and highs?
    RUN WAT U BRUNG!!!!

Y are u wanting to run your mids at two ohm? But you can do it as long as your running a good quality amp ie. Kicker JL alpine ect. But you have to take into account the amp will put out twice as much power but it can also lead to a amp going into thermal protect

Junkyard 5.3 milled heads 200 shot, built 4l80e with circle D 4000 multi disc converter
    EPS cam 23x/23x 600/603 112lsa
    KP 6 link bagged with Accuair E-Level
    http://www.nitrousexpress.com/

I'm wanting to run a set of fosgate components and a set of coaxials for my front stage off a Cerwin Vega Exl 350.2. The amp puts out plenty of power for the two sets, they are also known to be zeff designed pretty much a cheap zapco amp. I was just wondering if I am going to sacrifice that much SQ by running them at 2ohms?

Those Infinity's sound pretty good being they are 2 ohm voice coils. You should be fine with a decent amp.
    RUN WAT U BRUNG!!!!

just thought i'd drop my two cents in here as i was browsing the forum...your speakers are the load in the equation here so they will decide how many ohms there are in your circuit...you can't change that unless you put resistors in series or parallel which i wouldn't recommend doing...infinity does make some speakers that are 2 ohm voice coils but the majority i think you'll find is 4 so that's what rating you'll look at on an amplifier to power them. subs are a different story, there are companies out there making the same sub, but one has 4 ohm voice coils and one has 2 ohm voice coils, also single or dual voice coils. depending how many subs, and how you wire them up and how you wire the voice coils, you could have anywhere from a 1 ohm load to an 8 ohm load. anyways, point being, if you've got speakers that are from the manufacturer as 4 ohms, that's what your amp will see and it'll put out whatever power it's rated for at 4 ohms. hope i didn't ramble too much and that made sense to you.

If you didn't catch the drift I am running two sets of 4ohm speakers wired down to a 2ohm load.

Quote Originally Posted by SGP93GSX View Post

This is 100% incorrect when used as such a general statement, the resistance of the amplified channel has no bearing on perceived "sound quality". The main effect is sensitivity so what you need to keep in mind is wether your complete setup is going to be of 2 ohm or if you're going to mix and match impedences. This will make setting gains difficult.

+ Reply to Thread