+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leveling the front end

Leveling the front end

I want to level out my front end of my truck. Can someone tell me the difference between just cranking up your torsion bars vs. using a "leveling kit" like this one?
    1999-2006 Chevy Leveling Suspension Lift Kit

Is there any advantage to getting the kit?

If I were you I would go to a Ford Dealership and order the 97-04 F150 Stock torsion keys. They are cheaper than the RC Leveling keys and you can go higher with the ford keys. If you crank your front end on your stock keys you can only gain about an inch and a half. If you buy the ford keys you can totally level your front end with the potential to crank higher. It is recommended you buy shocks when you buy leveling keys or else the ride is going to be pretty rough. If you want to go cheap buy 0-3" Pro comp ES9000s or if you want really good shocks, Bilstein makes some especially for GM trucks running ford keys. Im not sure on the part number but they ride amazing and they are more expensive.
    2012 F-250 XLT/FX4 RCLB 6.7 Powerstroke
    H&S XRT Pro Race(550hp/1100tq)/ 4" flopro exhaust/H&S EGT kit/SPE Full diff unlock/S&B CAI/H&S motorsports upcharge pipe kit/ DPF,CAT,EGR,UREA Deleted/Icon 3.5" Lift-Vs 2.0 shocks/PMF DSS w' Bilstein 5100s/Icon Adj Track Bar-upgraded steel bearing/RIGID LEDs/Kenwood DNX570HD w/idatalink maestro/Hertz5x7s/Memphis 12" slim/500.1 JL slash amp/Recon f250 led emblems

How far can you crank them up before the CVs wearing and making noise become an issue?

well good ol AGGIE up there cranked his all the way and so did my cuz. that is why they drove around feelin like they were drivin a sherman tank. i only recomend levelin it and not maxing them out cause levelin it puts enough "stress" on them. if you crank too far it will not be able to get aligned. so i only say two inches.
    2009 CHEVROLET 1500 with a MONSTER 4.8 between the frame rails!!

Tuned by LSX Powersports ~ 4.10 ~ JBA Shorties ~ 4" Inlet/Outlet Spintech ~ Airaid Coldair
    CST 3.5" Spindles ~ Camburg Upper Control Arms ~ 2.5" CCM ~ FFR Tie Rods
    Full Throttle Suspension 3" Lift Blocks ~ Soft 8s wrapped in LT285/70/17 Silent Armors

Good to know. I'll get some keys this week. I'm assuming the f150 keys are 4x4 keys, anybody know about how much $$$?

like 70 for both i think, hears your part number XL3Z-5B328-CA
    2009 CHEVROLET 1500 with a MONSTER 4.8 between the frame rails!!

Tuned by LSX Powersports ~ 4.10 ~ JBA Shorties ~ 4" Inlet/Outlet Spintech ~ Airaid Coldair
    CST 3.5" Spindles ~ Camburg Upper Control Arms ~ 2.5" CCM ~ FFR Tie Rods
    Full Throttle Suspension 3" Lift Blocks ~ Soft 8s wrapped in LT285/70/17 Silent Armors

Quote Originally Posted by small1town9kid View Post
    well good ol AGGIE up there cranked his all the way and so did my cuz. that is why they drove around feelin like they were drivin a sherman tank. i only recomend levelin it and not maxing them out cause levelin it puts enough "stress" on them. if you crank too far it will not be able to get aligned. so i only say two inches.
    I cranked my truck to the effing sky. I cranked about a good 3 inches or more haha. My upper arm was sitting on the frame which then lead to the fact I could not get my wheels aligned. That ate up my swampers pretty bad. I also rode with stock shocks and it bounced everywhere and rode like **** until I bought some pro comp es9000 shocks. It smoothed the ride out dramatically but still was stiff. Also a result of me cranking to the sky and going offroad somewhat was my lower ball joints going out at 33k miles (I put the keys in at 20k miles, yeah it was that bad). Luckily no CV components were messed up. It could have gotten real bad if I left that setup on. I would recommend cranking no more than 2 inches or else you will end up like me haha. Also buy shocks too!

like 70 for both i think, hears your part number XL3Z-5B328-CA
    Yeah mine were 70 out the door. They might have them in stock or might now but it takes like a day to get in either way.
    H&S XRT Pro Race(550hp/1100tq)/ 4" flopro exhaust/H&S EGT kit/SPE Full diff unlock/S&B CAI/H&S motorsports upcharge pipe kit/ DPF,CAT,EGR,UREA Deleted/Icon 3.5" Lift-Vs 2.0 shocks/PMF DSS w' Bilstein 5100s/Icon Adj Track Bar-upgraded steel bearing/RIGID LEDs/Kenwood DNX570HD w/idatalink maestro/Hertz5x7s/Memphis 12" slim/500.1 JL slash amp/Recon f250 led emblems

well good ol AGGIE up there cranked his all the way and so did my cuz. that is why they drove around feelin like they were drivin a sherman tank.

Cranking too much will also cause your tires to camber and, like stated above, ruin your parts and tires. So, did you get the keys after all??

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cjriojas View Post

Cranking too much will also cause your tires to camber and, like stated above, ruin your parts and tires. So, did you get the keys after all??

Chris
    And its not alignable when the upper control arm his the frame if you crank too high

+ Reply to Thread