+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4.8 L/lr4/engine mods

I have an 01' GMC sierra with a LR4 motor, full exhaust-k&n FIPK-superchip, looking for some engine mods maybe a better cam, still kind of new to these vortec motors it looks very complicating uunder there. any suggestions?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilliams21 &#064; Jan 24 2007, 08&#58;00 PM) [snapback]81100[/snapback]</div>
    I have an 01&#39; GMC sierra with a LR4 motor, full exhaust-k&n FIPK-superchip, looking for some engine mods maybe a better cam, still kind of new to these vortec motors it looks very complicating uunder there. any suggestions?
    [/b]
    DITCH THAT SUPERCHIP AND GO WITH A NELSON TUNE FROM NELSON PERFORMANCE, ALLEN WILL SET YOU UP. HAVE YOU THOUGHT OF A LOWER REAREND GEAR? WHEN YOU SAY FULL EXHAUST DO YOU MEAN FROM THE HEADERS TO THE TAIL PIPE? WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS WITH THE TRUCK?

JAMEST
    12 Sec. Club! SOLD
    La Viuda negra/ a.k.a. Black Betty

LQ4 6.0L, WCCH HEADS, LEVEL 5 FLT 4L80E TRANS. WITH TRANS BREAK, YANK 3200 STALL, TRICK TURBO, TURBONETICS T-76 TURBO, CUSTOM INTERCOOLED, 68lb INJECTORS, CUSTOM S/D TUNE FROM NELSON PERFORMANCE, COMP CAM 212/214 .557/.559 116+2, SNOW METH. KIT, . ALL INSTALLED AND DYNOED AT NELSON PERFORMANCE: 5**?HP @ 5073rpms and 5**TQ @ 4389rpms AT THE WHEELS WITH 10 PSI OF BOOST. ALL 3/4 TON TRUCK 5435LBS, NOTHING TAKEN OFF, STREET TIRES, AND USUALLY 2 BABY SEATS. WANNA RIDE?
    SOLD***

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jamest &#064; Jan 25 2007, 11&#58;31 AM) [snapback]81167[/snapback]</div>
    DITCH THAT SUPERCHIP AND GO WITH A NELSON TUNE FROM NELSON PERFORMANCE, ALLEN WILL SET YOU UP. HAVE YOU THOUGHT OF A LOWER REAREND GEAR? WHEN YOU SAY FULL EXHAUST DO YOU MEAN FROM THE HEADERS TO THE TAIL PIPE? WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS WITH THE TRUCK?

JAMEST
    [/b]
    I just want to give it a little more balls nothing spectacular, i was thinking like maybe a 3.43 posi. Can i use the same Pumpkin if i put lower gears in it. header down, stock cats tho.

Yea you can use the same pumpkin. I installed 4.10s and an auburn locker in mine. Woke it up tremendously. I also have slp headers and that made a big difference also. The sky is the limit and its all in what you want.
    2000 Chevrolet Silverado, 4.8L, K&N polished intake, 4.10 gears, 20x9 KMC SS on front, 22x10 on rear, Dual style pillar gauges, steel cowl hood, 2" rear drop shackles, true duals w/IMCO extreme mufflers w/dumps at rear end, SLP headers. Cam and nelson tune soon to come!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams21 View Post
    I have an 01' GMC sierra with a LR4 motor, full exhaust-k&n FIPK-superchip, looking for some engine mods maybe a better cam, still kind of new to these vortec motors it looks very complicating uunder there. any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamest View Post
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilliams21 @ Jan 24 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]81100[/snapback]</div>
    DITCH THAT SUPERCHIP AND GO WITH A NELSON TUNE FROM NELSON PERFORMANCE, ALLEN WILL SET YOU UP.
    That looks like an interesting idea of modifications for the Sierra. Well, my uncle is also planning to do some modifications of his Sierra to increase it's performance. At first, he was having a thought of getting a superchip but having read what Jamest said, it's better to hook up a nelson tune. Anyway, I'm gonna let my uncle know about this so he could check it out. Thanks for sharing some suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams21 View Post
    Custom tune. Nelson is a very popular choice. Gears and Posi are a good investment but common recommendation would be a trutrac with 3.73 or all the way up to 4.10 After that bang for your buck Ebay has some nice headers for very little $ add a magnaflow straight thru 3'' and losing the cats is a good idea. After that a 3k stall from Circle D. You should be moving after that.

Edit: just noticed you already have an exhaust my bad.
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

My 4.8 with the mods listed in my sig got me in the 13's

02 Fully forged Iron Ls1 233/239 595/603 112lsa,
    milled, ported& polished heads,
    K&N CAI, shorty headers,
    off road x-pipe, Pypes M-80s dumped,
    TCI 3600 stall ,TransGo shift kit,
    True Trac w/3:73s, 4/6 drop,
    and a Fast LSXRT 102

Quote Originally Posted by Jamest View Post
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bwilliams21 @ Jan 24 2007, 08:00 PM) [snapback]81100[/snapback]</div>

JAMEST
    Just reiterating this point. Ditch the supercrap and get a live tune. best mod period! When you say full exhaust, does that mean you have LT headers? Also, these engines are no more complex than any other motor. 3.42's will do little for you performance wise.
    '02 Silvy: Z71 EC Step Side 5.3L Nelson tuned
    2013 GMC Acadia: SLT1 Carbon Black
    1976 Corvette Stingray: Trying to save it, progress is slow.

^Ricky's Sweet PS Skilz
    09/21/2010 02:31 <danger_ranger83> I'm not really worried about the looks...I want it to be fast and ugly...bc no one wants to get outrun by something ugly

+ Reply to Thread