+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Swapping a 4.8L into an '86 K10?

Swapping a 4.8L into an '86 K10?

Hi all -

I'm new to the site and seeking information, opinions, etc. regarding a couple a projects that I am contemplating. I posted my introduction in the newbie section of the forum and, if you like, you can read more about me and my current daily driver there.

But let's cut to the chase... I have a 1986 Chevy K10 that I was recently on the verge of selling due to boredom (the truck is basically done, and I want a new project). However, this morning I was presented with an interesting opportunity.

I have a very good friend who owns a towing company, and he recently acquired a wrecked 2003 Chevy 1500 4WD through an owner that didn't pay his tow bill. This rig has a 4.8l V8, and a 4L60E automatic. Being the scavenger that I am, I was instantly thinking engine swap, but I've had a few hours to think about it and I would like some insight as to what all is involved.

Now I know what you're thinking, swap a 4.8 instead of a 5.3? Let me explain my logic behind this... I drive this rig every day, and fuel is killing me right now. I don't really need a ton of power, I've got an '85 K30 with a Cummins diesel in it if I need power. This is simply a rig to get from point A to point B, and I refuse to buy a car or a soccer-mom-type SUV. That being said, I would much prefer to swap in a 5.3 or 6.0, but this setup is readily available. Additionally, I've found that having an entire donor vehicle is a much better way to go versus trying to track down each individual little part to make everything come together. Finally, I can get the whole wrecked truck for next to nothing, and may actually be able to sell some remaining parts that I wont use (20" Wheels, killer stereo system, etc) and come out ahead financially.

Of course, I still need to research the donor rig itself. I am going to take a battery down to the yard later this week so I can power it up and see how many miles are on it. Also, the rig was wrecked pretty bad, and I need to do some thorough examination to see what, if anything, was damaged and what those components will cost to replace. So far, I've identified that I will definitely need a radiator and a fuse panel, but the weather was really crappy today and I didn't spend a lot of time looking at anything else.

I guess what I need to know is:

What are the primary components involved in a swap like this, and where are they located on the donor vehicle? (So I can locate them and inspect for damage)

Can I mate this engine to my current four-speed transmission? I assume that the bellhousing pattern is the same as any SBC, but what about a flywheel/clutch? Also, does ditching the electronically controlled automatic adversely affect anything?

If, for some reason I decide to go with the automatic, is there anything on the aftermarket that will adapt this transmission to an NP208 transfer case?

How do you go about making your factory gauges work? Do I need to install a check engine light? Additional gauges?

Are the exhaust ports on the 4.8L the same as old school SBC's? I would really like to keep the headers and exhaust that I currently have. I am assuming that I will have to install an O2 sensor in the exhaust, do I need to install two of them for true dual exhaust? What about a crossover pipe? Will ditching the factory catalytic converter affect the system?

What about the fuel system? I assume I will need to install an electric fuel pump, can that be done in-line, or does it have to be in the tank?

I'm not too worried about things like motor mounts, I pride myself on my ability to fabricate custom parts. I also am pretty confident that I can make the accessory items (power steering, AC, etc.) work fairly easily. What I really want to know is, is this swap feasible? Reasonable? Another idea I've kicked around is installing Tuned Port Injection on my existing engine. Would this make more sense?

Sorry, I know this is a long-winded post. Even though its purely conceptual at this point, I would really appreciate any insight or direction that folks could offer. Thanks,

Joe

See my thread in the next up forum. I'm doing the same thing, and have already begun the process.

i know plenty of people have done it, i personally don't really know any great specifics
    i would assume though that it would be much easier and cheaper to use the 4.8 and the 60E together.

you'll want to look at the pcm too. kinda hard to tell if it's all good, but just look at as much of the electrical and controls systems as you can, see what works. i've seen pcms go bad when they receive massive shocks in wrecks, etc.
    obviously make sure that the engine and tranny aren't physically damaged from the wreck and i would say you've got a good start to a good swap.
    2000 ECSB 5.3L with K&N CAI, true duals with flowmaster 40s, and 200k miles!

That sounds like an exciting project! Swapping the 4.8L V8 and 4L60E automatic from the 2003 Chevy 1500 into your 1986 Chevy K10 could give it a whole new lease on life. You'll need to look into the compatibility of engine mounts and possibly fabricate new ones Source to fit the newer engine in the older chassis. You might need a custom exhaust to fit the new engine and match the existing exhaust system. It's a big project, but with careful planning and the right resources, it could be a very rewarding upgrade for your K10. Good luck, and enjoy the build!

+ Reply to Thread