+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cam swap for 5.3

Quote Originally Posted by Wagonbacker9 View Post
    Totally depends on your setup.. rod length, displacement, combustion chamber CCs...

As for changing the springs, I just got into this debate in another thread, there is nothing stopping you from changing the springs with the heads on the block. And there are plenty of stalls out there that are fine for towing, as long as you have a good cooler.
    Right. I just read where super chevy did a port and polish job on a set of 5.3 heads and got almost 40hp gain. So i just thot i might do it all at once. But the truck came from the factory in 1994 with a towing package so it has a cooler already on it. I really think thats why the old 4l60 lasted as long as it did. But this is all subject to change because super chevy also stroked the 5.3 to a 383 and had it layin down over 550 hp and torque so im just toyin with all kinds of ideas right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayman View Post
    Right. I just read where super chevy did a port and polish job on a set of 5.3 heads and got almost 40hp gain. So i just thot i might do it all at once. But the truck came from the factory in 1994 with a towing package so it has a cooler already on it. I really think thats why the old 4l60 lasted as long as it did. But this is all subject to change because super chevy also stroked the 5.3 to a 383 and had it layin down over 550 hp and torque so im just toyin with all kinds of ideas right now.
    Yeah, I'm not saying "don't", just saying "you don't HAVE to"... As for the factory cooler, that may or may not be sufficient, especially if you stall. I plan on putting in a cooler upgrade, possibly in series with my factory cooler (if I have one, haven't looked). I've got the same problem you do... so many ways you can go with it, its tough to choose.

Yea and the problem is i already know that whatever i do isnt going to be enough. You cant ever have too much power!! but i believe money is gonna be the determining factor for me. Stuff costs too much

Quote Originally Posted by Clayman View Post
    Yea and the problem is i already know that whatever i do isnt going to be enough. You cant ever have too much power!! but i believe money is gonna be the determining factor for me. Stuff costs too much
    My GTO is making 400+ and it already feels slow... so I feel you.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagonbacker9 View Post
    My GTO is making 400+ and it already feels slow... so I feel you.
    I know the feeling. My crew cab is only putting down 600+ though

Quote Originally Posted by pl4yboy View Post
    I know the feeling. My crew cab is only putting down 600+ though
    What kind of tranny do you have that can handle that?

+ Reply to Thread