+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cam swap for 5.3

Fortunately the stock 80e stall is pretty loose to begin with though it weighs in at close to 80lbs. It's definitely a wise decision to get a small diameter 3200+ stall when going to an 80e, a high price to pay for one but well worth the cost.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

Where's best to buy the TR220 cam and circle D stall? I think that's what I'm goin with as well.

The site sponsor "Circle-D" is listed on the front page of the website. Allen at Nelson Performance can get you the camshaft or may even recommend a better cam for you depending upon your desires. Contact both of them and you'll be happy. I think the TR before the TR220 is for Thunder Racing, though.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

Quote Originally Posted by pl4yboy View Post
    Unfortunately there isn't really a budget stall for an 80e
    Monster transmission has one for like 420 shipped but I don't really know much about their products.
    99 rcsb silverado...... boosted.

How would a comp 212/218 .522/.529 114lsa do for bottom end? And would springs be a necessity with it? That cam is the one that ive been comparing with the tr220 trying to decide which is the best for me. I really would like to have some good torque around 2000 rpm so i can pull all these hills in va without so many downshifts and stuff. But when i hit the go pedal i want it to come alive and leave my brothers 6.0!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jansen View Post
    Monster transmission has one for like 420 shipped but I don't really know much about their products.
    As with everything in life especially performance, you get what you pay for.
    THEY CALL ME G.

AZRAEL

2017 RZR 1000 2 SEATER
    2023 RZR 1000 XP 4
    2008 LTZ DURAMAX 3500
    2023 300S 5.7
    2023 BUICK ENCORE[/B]

The difference between winning and losing, is having a 2nd stage.

Quote Originally Posted by pl4yboy View Post
    Unfortunately there isn't really a budget stall for an 80e
    Sorry I was meaning if he bought the 3k for the 60e and had to resell it to go 80e it wouldn't be a total loss. Looking at what I said now it didn't make sense like I thought lol
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

Quote Originally Posted by Clayman View Post
    Well liie i said im gonna wait til the 60e goes and then im gonna drop in an 80e. Cuz i dont have the dough to do both right now. What does a reverse split do for you?
    The longer intake lobe helps extend the powerband, and the shorter exhaust lobe basically opens a little late (compared to a single profile cam), and it closes a little sooner as well, reducing overlap and improving idle. A very basic cam statement is that the intake lobe makes the power, and the exhaust profile determines drivability. This is not ENTIRELY accurate, but if you think about the way the engine breathes, it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagonbacker9 View Post
    The longer intake lobe helps extend the powerband, and the shorter exhaust lobe basically opens a little late (compared to a single profile cam), and it closes a little sooner as well, reducing overlap and improving idle. A very basic cam statement is that the intake lobe makes the power, and the exhaust profile determines drivability. This is not ENTIRELY accurate, but if you think about the way the engine breathes, it makes sense.
    That makes sense. The more i think about it tho im not sure i want a stall converter because i do pull a 8500 lb trailer occasionally and i dont want it to always be screamin to haul it. So im thinkin the comp xr265hr14 is what i want. Its the second cam i speced above. 212/218 .522/.529 114lsa and while im gonna be in the motor ill pull the heads swap out springs to ls6 and port amd polish the runners and mill them just a tad to raise compression to 10.5 +/- how much would it take as far as milling the heads to raise compression from 9.4:1 to 10.5? Anybody have any input?

Quote Originally Posted by Clayman View Post
    That makes sense. The more i think about it tho im not sure i want a stall converter because i do pull a 8500 lb trailer occasionally and i dont want it to always be screamin to haul it. So im thinkin the comp xr265hr14 is what i want. Its the second cam i speced above. 212/218 .522/.529 114lsa and while im gonna be in the motor ill pull the heads swap out springs to ls6 and port amd polish the runners and mill them just a tad to raise compression to 10.5 +/- how much would it take as far as milling the heads to raise compression from 9.4:1 to 10.5? Anybody have any input?
    Totally depends on your setup.. rod length, displacement, combustion chamber CCs...

As for changing the springs, I just got into this debate in another thread, there is nothing stopping you from changing the springs with the heads on the block. And there are plenty of stalls out there that are fine for towing, as long as you have a good cooler.

+ Reply to Thread