+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: might have killed a performabuilt, any sugestions where to start?

Word is 3rd is a direct drive or something. Supposed to be a lil easier on the tranny during racing. Someone surely will post up the link. Think the most of it was the 3 is actually D and d is more like OD...

06 Intimidator SS- Tuned, CAI -DD
    03 Silverado- Last incarnation 13.6... RIP
    Ls1, Pnp heads, Polluter camshaft, spray, 4k stall on the way
    "Seize the day like you seize your noodle" - Shin Chan

I searched for the technical definition but I believe it applies more clutch area? I am going to continue searching lol.

I've heard of launching with tow/haul on, being better for the trans...never heard of the 3 thing. I normally do at the track, just so I don't shift, but never thought about it on the street.
    blown transmissions are about as useful as 97% of the guys on this forum

I guess no one heard about the 3 instead of D thing before I posted it a few months ago. It is coming down directly from Vince at FLT and FreeMaSSon... some of you may remember him.

this trans is designed as a drive and overdrive tranny and GM did us all a HUGE DISSERVICE when they marked this tranny with D - 3 - 2 - 1...

3 is driect drive (which means DRIVE to the lay person) and it should be thought of as drive and the trans is at is BEST when the gear selector is in DIRECT DRIVE, it routes the fluid in the vavle body to maximize the clutch application and makes the trans the most efficient and stable that it can be......

D is over drive (which means NOT A RACING GEAR to the lay person) and it should be thought of as ,exactly that, OVER DRIVE not RACING GEAR....the valve body fluid flow in D is that of over drive to make the trans operate in a smoother and softer manner which creates slip in the clutch packs (in our trucks with the HIGH HEAT and WEIGHT) and thus causes UNDO or PREMATURE WEAR....it also creates the slip/bank shift sequence that is so HARMFUL to these trannys.....

it is a combined 1-2 punch combo on these trans that is causing them to die early....i killed 3 trannys becuase of operater error and most all these that i've seen die could have been avoided to a large degree......

the killers:
    HEAT - get alvin's fuggin cooler on now if you do not already have it or a reasonable facsimile

WEIGHT - CAN'T DO http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/site-...rum-rules.html ABOUT IT it is what it is........DEAL WITH IT and CHANGE THE AREAS YOU CAN....

Gear Selection - keep the trans in direct drive EVERY TIME YOU HAMMER IT PERIOD......EVERY TIME, not just at the track or when i want to race or what not......EVERY TIME YOU HAMMER THIS TRANS IT SHOULD BE IN DIRECT DRIVE (drive for the lay person) and that gear selection on our gear selector is 3......GOT IT 3

IN SUMMARY: Keep the fluid as COOL as possible, keep the trans in direct drive unless you are on a free way cruise or be DSICIPLINED enough to put it in driect drive (3 on the selector) before you beat on it
    Getting back to freemason's theory. In the D3 position the overrun clutch comes on when the trans shifts to third gear or when the trans is shifted manually from OD to D3 for engine braking. Personally the best way to race/beat on one of the transmissions is to have the trans in the D3 position. This way when the trans shifts to third gear the overrun clutch comes on to aid in the holding power for the input sprag and also to help the 3-4 clutch out. Also another problem is if the tires are spinning and suddenly they grab, this is very hard on any transmissions internals. Might stand to reason why we see more AWD/4X4 output shafts break. I have 4l60e transmissions in 9.xx second race cars that get 100+ runs on them before they need to be refreshed. They do not hot dog on the street and if the tires brake loose they lift. It's that simple. They have already been warned that playing on the street is a no no with 800+rwhp. These transmissions just will not survive if you beat on them like a red headed step child. Hope this makes sense. Vince

Disclaimer.....I am in no way making fun of red headed step children.

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

i was not planning on launching until my girl friend started in with "they probably dont wanna race", i was like "any one with male genitalia wants to race" then bang! , i have been launching in 3rd not because of what anyone said but it just feels more "positive". any ways it was spur of the moment so it was in d, i took the tensioner back to napa and had everyone scratching their head and speculating what happened, only one guy knew what is under my hood, it broke clean in half and threw the tensioner and pulley on the road but not before smacking my new goodmark hood, my only guess is that they werent made to see 6k+ rpm and a procharger. i called preformabuilt and they said it was more than likely the forward sprag assembly and they would take care of it, i guess its about time for a 80e if a built 60e is not gonna last more than 8-9 months and im far from done modding the avalanche. thanks for the input guys.
    procharger p1sc, nelson tune, 42# marine injectors, walbro 255, lt's, ory, 4" volant cat back, PerformaBuilt level 2 pro race trans, trans. cooler with e fan, 2500 stall, aem wideband, energy bushings, spohn perf. trailing and panhard rods, mb & gear alloy 22's ( ya 2 sets, im big ballin), ss brake lines, drilled & slotted rotors, bla bla bla bla bla bla bla,
    and ya it will beat a hemi.

thanks PB, now i recall reading it a good while back, do i live by it probably not, but i do keep my trans cool at 150 even on the hottest days, some say thats to cool, i say its been working for over 3-4 years now so why change and yes its a performabuilt level 2 and been launched numerous times in drive GUESS YOU COULD SAY I BEEN LUCKY OR FRANK HAS BUILT ME ONE HELLVA TRANSMISSION

but it all does make sense i!!
    Simple: 408 on steroids!
    single digits coming soon!

Quote Originally Posted by skeet View Post
    what matter does it make if its in D or 3rd ?
    I would like to know that diff. it makes also, as I have always left it in D.

Quote Originally Posted by pl4yboy View Post
    I guess no one heard about the 3 instead of D thing before I posted it a few months ago. It is coming down directly from Vince at FLT ... some of you may remember him.
    ohh, I do remember him, but must of all I remember CHUCK

Chuck is a nice sound when bones break

+ Reply to Thread