+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cap, or no cap?

Quote Originally Posted by pl4yboy View Post
    There are very few of us audiophiles around here. As a matter of fact, lo-lyf and I are about the only ones. For the longest time we fought and bickered about everything possible until we came to the realization that we just have different tastes in the same hobby.
    Yep, and we probably still don't have the same political views but who cares and who does? You know your stuff, so do I. In fact, you probably know more than me in areas. I'm not here for a pissing contest though, just to help where I can.
    2005 black Yukon XL SLT - traded in for me wife's new Fusion (GM sucks these days)
    2002 black Yukon SLT (the skinny sister)
    1969 green Pontiac GTO (Layla, AKA the black sheep)

INSTALLS AND MORE.. http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...-low-life.html
    Sticky/broken gauges? I can help. PM me for details.

just becomes another load after the initial discharge, great marketing item for manufactures cause people like to buy em....truly no need for or benefit from them.

2011 4x4 6.2 Silverado ltz 6" fabtech lift 20" XD spy 35" nitto mud grappler

Quote Originally Posted by Sport91 View Post
    just becomes another load after the initial discharge, great marketing item for manufactures cause people like to buy em....truly no need for or benefit from them.
    +1
    Either you need:
    Bigger wire
    Bigger Alternator
    Another Battery

Thats the way Id look at the power problem lol.
    99 Silverado 1500 4x4 RC 4.8
    4L60E, 3.73, Homemade CAI, 92oct Quik tuned,
    08 Tahoe radiator/fans, Dumped exhaust... summed up one loud pig caller |[226K! on odometer|

Quote Originally Posted by Maui4x4 View Post
    +1
    Either you need:
    Bigger wire
    Bigger Alternator
    Another Battery

Thats the way Id look at the power problem lol.
    The Big 3 upgrade will save the majority of the people's issues anyway.

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

The Big 3 upgrade will save the majority of the people's issues anyway.

x2

I've been meaning to do this to mine for 2 years now lol.

One day people will awake to the advantage and use of the cap in car audo. Most just don't truly understand its place and purpose of use.
    Last edited by blade7022; 12-30-2010 at 02:46 PM.
    2001 Tahoe LT Auto-Ride, 5.3 (Soon to be 408 stroker!!!) Newly rebuilt 4L60E!!

Quote Originally Posted by blade7022 View Post
    One day people will awake to the advantage and use of the cap in car audo. Most just don't truly understand its place and purpose of use.
    Blease share what you think it's place and use are?

This is gonna be great.
    T-RAV
    99 GMC | 5.3 | Skinny White Guy Tuned

Quote Originally Posted by bangbangskeetskeet View Post
    Blease share what you think it's place and use are?
    This is gonna be great.
    Things previously stated are correct. Upgraded electrical is priority number 1. I have no dissagreement and completly agree. But, the view of the cap being a throw away, needless piece of junk is slightly scewed.

The cap has its place in realm of Sound Quality, and is sole purpose is stability. Not stopping light dimming, not acting as another battery, and certainly not being the only upgrade needed. Its only job is to level out and stabilize the incoming voltage signal from the battery(ies).

Any unfiltered electrical signal, wether it be DC from a battery of AC from an outlet, is going to be "dirty" that is the signal will have peakes and vallies. When a cap or other stabilizing device is used, it eliminates those peaks and vallies, giving a more clean signal to the amplifier. This in turn allowes the amp to produce a stronger more level signal to the speakers, lowing distortion and increasing the quality of the sound.

---- One more thing, when a Cap it used, it must be of a proper capacitance. If you put a 1 farad cap on a 2,000 watt amp, that is pointless.
    Last edited by blade7022; 12-30-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by blade7022 View Post
    Things previously stated are correct. Upgraded electrical is priority number 1. I have no dissagreement and completly agree. But, the view of the cap being a throw away, needless piece of junk is slightly scewed.

The cap has its place in realm of Sound Quality, and is sole purpose is stability. Not stopping light dimming, not acting as another battery, and certainly not being the only upgrade needed. Its only job is to level out and stabilize the incoming voltage signal from the battery(ies).

Any unfiltered electrical signal, wether it be DC from a battery of AC from an outlet, is going to be "dirty" that is the signal will have peakes and vallies. When a cap or other stabilizing device is used, it eliminates those peaks and vallies, giving a more clean signal to the amplifier. This in turn allowes the amp to produce a stronger more level signal to the speakers, lowing distortion and increasing the quality of the sound.

---- One more thing, when a Cap it used, it must be of a proper capacitance. If you put a 1 farad cap on a 2,000 watt amp, that is pointless.
    Like I said. They're useless.

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

Like I said. They're useless.
    Maby in your setup, but not totally useless.

+ Reply to Thread