+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RCSB Speaker Help

Question RCSB Speaker Help

I'm going to start off by saying all I know about stereo systems is V=IR. I will be taking out my entire interior to do some seat wiring for my new leather seats and I'm pretty sure that my factory rear speakers in the pillars are shot. I do not want to replace my factory head unit because of its integration into the BCM and I have never seen and aftermarket unit that is as easy to use or has buttons that I can work. With that said I would like my stereo to sound good and thump a little when it should. I mostly listen to country and rock so I don't need to be making a bajillion decibels. I'm thinking just some really good replacement speakers and a whole bunch of Dynamat but, honestly have no clue. What do I need? I really want to do this once and not have to take my truck apart again.

Thanks in advance!
    Kyle - 2004 K1500 Z71 RCSB 5.3
    - Nelson 93 Octane Tune - LPP Long Tubes + Y - Gibson Extreme Duals - Cut Up Stock Air Box - 10.95 @ 67 in the 1/8 -
    - '05 Pickup Front Brakes - '05 Suburban Rear Brakes - Russel Stainless Braided Hoses -
    - DTRL's Turned to Park Lights - 4-HI Mod - '05 SS Seats -
    - I downshift near hybrids so they can hear me hurting the environment. -

I don't know how many times I have to say this... I may as well put it in my sig.

REAR FILL IS WORTHLESS. There. Said it.

If you're looking at replacing anything, replace the fronts with a good set of 6.5 components. You'll need an amp and you'll be tearing into the dash to hook that into the deck... I would seriously consider looking into an aftermarket head unit if you're looking for any sort of upgraded sound quality. Upgrading speakers without adding any control to them is useless in my opinion.

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

Been there done that, replaced the speakers before the head unit. Yes there is a difference, but replacing the head unit to is a WORLD of difference. By the way you can fit 5.25s in the pillar with a bit of trimming and standard 6.5's in the doors.
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

Ok so I just want to do the rear pillars for now. From what I've read since I started the thread component systems are the way to go because the split the frequencies to the type of speaker that can reproduce them better. I have also read that there is a huge difference in quality between $200 and $300 dollar kits so I would rather find a $300 dollar kit and do this once. Any suggestions on kits?
    - Nelson 93 Octane Tune - LPP Long Tubes + Y - Gibson Extreme Duals - Cut Up Stock Air Box - 10.95 @ 67 in the 1/8 -
    - '05 Pickup Front Brakes - '05 Suburban Rear Brakes - Russel Stainless Braided Hoses -

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    Been there done that, replaced the speakers before the head unit. Yes there is a difference, but replacing the head unit to is a WORLD of difference. By the way you can fit 5.25s in the pillar with a bit of trimming and standard 6.5's in the doors.
    Does the depth of the 5.25s matter? I want to hide them under the panels so it looks stock.

Quote Originally Posted by pl4yboy View Post
    REAR FILL IS WORTHLESS.
    Jesus... Don't bother listening to this guy.

/sarcasm

1969 Chevy RCLB C10 350/TH400 SOLD
    2007 Chevy RCSB 4.8 4x4 LS SOLD
    2008 Chevy RCSB 5.3 4x4 LT SOLD
    2010 Chevy CCSB 6.2 4x4 LT SOLD
    2005 GMC CCLB DRW 6.6 Duramax 4x4 191,000 and counting
    2013 FORD CCSB F350 6.7 Powerstroke 4x4

It is. But if he wants to replace them so be it. Depth is okay, I have Alpine Type-R's and they're not shallow. Fit fine.
    2006 Silverado
    Little Black Bitch

I'll second that rears are worthless. I would put my money and work in the doors and leave the pillars alone, maybe put two sets in the front doors if you want 4 mids/highs. Since its apart you might as well get some dynamat going. Just my input, have fun with the project
    2005 black Yukon XL SLT - traded in for me wife's new Fusion (GM sucks these days)
    2002 black Yukon SLT (the skinny sister)
    1969 green Pontiac GTO (Layla, AKA the black sheep)

INSTALLS AND MORE.. http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...-low-life.html
    Sticky/broken gauges? I can help. PM me for details.

i like the oem head unit also (mostly due to the steering wheel controls that i don't want to louse if i switch to aftermarket) I just changed out the door 6.5's today because they were blown for a set of cheap boss speakers. They seem to work well and have a RMS rating of 125 watts each (more then good for oe head unit output) after hearing the difference between oe and the new speakers i picked up some of there 4x6's (100 Watts RMS)

6.5's http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    4x6 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT
    yes i know its a cheap knock off brand but yes they sound better then oe

+ Reply to Thread