+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Nelson Harness took a crap on me

Thumbs down

My harness crapped out. It has been burning up relays since I got it, they would normally last about 6 months. Now the fan won't cycle with AC, so I replaced the relays and nothing. I took all 3 relays out and put one old one back in and it worked. Then turned the truck off, restarted it, and it won't work again. Took the relay out, put it back in, and it worked again. Then turned off the truck, and the fan kept running??? I had to pull the relay.

Can someone post a diagram so I can wire a relay in to be switched on with switched power. I don't care if the single fan runs constantly or not, at least it will run. I can use one of the relays that is still working and steal wiring from the harness. The truck doesn't overheat, but the AC wont' work when this is happening.

This is for an '04 with '05 efans and Nelson Harness.
    Thanks guys,
    S.C.

PS - I am going to bed now, so I can't answer any questions until the morning.
    Gone, but not forgotten!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SCIV &#064; Feb 23 2007, 11&#58;07 PM) [snapback]84328[/snapback]</div>
    My harness crapped out. It has been burning up relays since I got it, they would normally last about 6 months. Now the fan won&#39;t cycle with AC, so I replaced the relays and nothing. I took all 3 relays out and put one old one back in and it worked. Then turned the truck off, restarted it, and it won&#39;t work again. Took the relay out, put it back in, and it worked again. Then turned off the truck, and the fan kept running??? I had to pull the relay.

Can someone post a diagram so I can wire a relay in to be switched on with switched power. I don&#39;t care if the single fan runs constantly or not, at least it will run. I can use one of the relays that is still working and steal wiring from the harness. The truck doesn&#39;t overheat, but the AC wont&#39; work when this is happening.

This is for an &#39;04 with &#39;05 efans and Nelson Harness.
    Thanks guys,
    S.C.

PS - I am going to bed now, so I can answer any questions until the morning.
    [/b]

Hey don&#39;t feel bad, your not the only one with a defective harness, my fans cycle every five seconds and i have gone through 3 105A alternators and finally stepped it up to the 145A alternator and still having problems.

Good Luck
    06 TrailBlazer SS LS2 4.10's

02 SC StepSide Factory Orange
    Full Bolt-On 370 - Little Cam- Victor Jr Intake -Worked 5.3 Heads - 4.56's - Built 60E - Circle D 4000

07 CTS-V CAI, GM Performance Exhaust, Ported TB, Coil Overs

LOL - Not exactly what I want to hear.

Come on electric wiring gurus, get your ass out of bed&#33;&#33;
    Gone, but not forgotten!

USE2BFO has a long running dialog on the fan wiring. Search his topic for the harness diagrams. We posted 3 or 4 that will work fine.

Here

That&#39;s the factory diagram. There are numerous posts in that thread on how to the harness.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

My suggestion is , if you run the 05 fans</span> <span style="color:#33CC00">(34&#39; Rad) then run the factory harness .
    Part number in my sig .
    Now what is a tune again?

Comp Cam 54-412-11 , Int:265, 212, .522 , Exh: 271, 218, .529 , LSA 114 , Longtube , CAI (Vararam) , TransGo HD2 shift kit , tuned by me with EFILive

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SCIV &#064; Feb 24 2007, 12&#58;07 AM) [snapback]84328[/snapback]</div>
    My harness crapped out. It has been burning up relays since I got it, they would normally last about 6 months. Now the fan won&#39;t cycle with AC, so I replaced the relays and nothing. I took all 3 relays out and put one old one back in and it worked. Then turned the truck off, restarted it, and it won&#39;t work again. Took the relay out, put it back in, and it worked again. Then turned off the truck, and the fan kept running??? I had to pull the relay.

Can someone post a diagram so I can wire a relay in to be switched on with switched power. I don&#39;t care if the single fan runs constantly or not, at least it will run. I can use one of the relays that is still working and steal wiring from the harness. The truck doesn&#39;t overheat, but the AC wont&#39; work when this is happening.

This is for an &#39;04 with &#39;05 efans and Nelson Harness.
    Thanks guys,
    S.C.

PS - I am going to bed now, so I can&#39;t answer any questions until the morning.
    [/b]

I tapped "the other green wire" (there are two in the bundle - the correct, darker green wire, and the "wrong" light green wire) on accident and it kept the left fan on constantly. Maybe you could just do that?

2002 ECSB, Nelson Tune, LS1 electric fans, 145A alternator, K&N FIPK, 160º T-stat, TB coolant bypass, Corvette servo, 4 headlight mod, blue LED gauge cluster

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bulldog5.3 &#064; Feb 24 2007, 01&#58;56 AM) [snapback]84331[/snapback]</div>
    Hey don&#39;t feel bad, your not the only one with a defective harness, my fans cycle every five seconds and i have gone through 3 105A alternators and finally stepped it up to the 145A alternator and still having problems.

Good Luck
    [/b]
    my fans cycle every ~5 seconds, but that&#39;s because my ac compressor cycles that often.

2002 ECSB, Nelson Tune, LS1 electric fans, 145A alternator, K&N FIPK, 160º T-stat, TB coolant bypass, Corvette servo, 4 headlight mod, blue LED gauge cluster

The harness I have for sale on this site is a modified Nelson harness that is modified for the 05 fans (34" Rad) .
    RedHeartbeat and I (more Red than me) worked out how to modify the Nelson harness so that it works with the 05 fans without causing a large draw on the Alt .
    Now what is a tune again?

Comp Cam 54-412-11 , Int:265, 212, .522 , Exh: 271, 218, .529 , LSA 114 , Longtube , CAI (Vararam) , TransGo HD2 shift kit , tuned by me with EFILive

What wires were excessive in the factory harness you bought? Was it for the fog lights? Our 2007 Classic doesn&#39;t have fogs but we&#39;d like to add them. Thought about just adding factory fogs and a relay with a switch under the hood to turn them on and off. Otherwise you have to get the BCM recalibrated to use the factory in-dash switch to turn them on or off since it&#39;s a momentary button and not a switch.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(use2bfo &#064; Feb 24 2007, 05&#58;10 PM) [snapback]84371[/snapback]</div>
    The harness I have for sale on this site is a modified Nelson harness that is modified for the 05 fans (34" Rad) .
    RedHeartbeat and I (more Red than me) worked out how to modify the Nelson harness so that it works with the 05 fans without causing a large draw on the Alt .
    [/b]

What, did you add a capacitor? I was thinking of doing that.

+ Reply to Thread