+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Drill bit set

Drill bit set

I need a drill bit set and i will be using it for metal, mainly iron. I am leaning towards the dewalt because they have lifetime warranty and are at a very good price. I liked the snap on but to pricey. Question: I see some in cobalt and titanium, which are better? The sets i see are at similar prices between the two. Any advice/recommendations/opinions. Open to suggestion. Thanks.

Chris

saratoga springs ,new york {upstate ,adirondacks }
    I use dewalt ,they have a pilot on em ,and i use em for wood and metal.
    mods:2004 sierra ext sb,20s ,big brake kit w,hawk pads,air bagged,2006 6.0 lq4 swap,vortec supercharged10psi, air to water intercooled w/ dual electric fans on it ,snow meth injection kit,60lbers, e-fans ,big radiator swap ,cam 218 /222 548/550 comp .hardened prs .1.85 comp roller rockers ,guideplates ,crane double springs,trans 4l65e built .pacesetter l/ts true duals w/x pipe and magnaflows,14 bolt rearend swap ,3.73s,aroemotive fuel pump system w/elec.fuel controller and bypass regulator a/n fittings, taylor 10.5s interceptor gauge,aem w/b a/f ,autometer boost/vac NELSON 93 OCTANE TUNED .

titanium is what i use but i dono about the cobalt
    04 1500 5.3L custom hp tuners tune by myself don have a pic of it yet so hear is my old 01 chevy 5.3 460hp 13.669 @ 116

Cobalt bits are pretty good (not the brand, the metal). The titanium is better. I have the titanium Snap-On set and if you keep an eye on eBay you can get a good price. I got a set of 24 for $75 shipped.....sounds high but the retail is like $250. I have never heard of lifetime warranty drill bits but if that's the case with Dewalt, go for it. They're stuff is pretty good...

Titanium are nice but they can be pretty fragile. any sideways pressure while drill will often result in a broken bit.

I guess Dewalt wins. I think I will go with the cobalt ones first. If for some reason they just wont hold up, i will replace them with titanium ones as if need be. Thanks a lot fellas. Always helpful

Chris

Cobalt drill bits are made from cobalt steel, they are the strongest of drill bits. I bought a set just for using on stainless. They drill it just like mild steel. Titanium nitride is the gold super hard anti-friction coating that people refer to as titanium. You can get tool steel, high speed steel (HSS), or even butter soft steel (you know, from the place with the name that is similar to marble grate) coated with titanium nitride, good for one use. I think I have even seen titanium nitride cobalt bits.
    In short, cobalt is the best, titanium coated HSS is next, then HSS, then tool steel.
    2000 Sierra 2500 HD. 408 (11-2007) Whipplecharged, Big (18x24x4) FMIC.

I went i bought the single bit that i needed and that thing is a beast. i got the cobalt with the titanium coat on it (cause it was that or the wood ones) and it did a fantastic job. Definitely gonna get the whole set. Thanks guys.

Wow, i might be a little late here but yes cobalt is one of the stroges drills you can buy for common use its what I woud get if you have the money for them. If you can get them in TiN coated (titanium) thats even better but the first tme you sharpen it the coating will be gone off the cutting edge. The biggest thing is keeping it sharp if you have the funds buy one of those little drill doctor thing it will make any old drill new again. Any smaller drill (less then 3/8) will brake so dont spend big bucks on the little guys just buy more of the smaller ones. biggest thing is when drill keep the drill streight even pressure and if you have a buddy there get some drilling coolent and a spray bottle and have him spay it to keep the bits tip cool. heat will kill your drill. imo
    Jeremy
    2000 Sierra 4x4 Denali front, 5.3, 3/4 drop, 22 foose speedsters, roll pan, Cold Air, Cat-back.

dont buy miwaukee its crap. i broke a header bolt and they wont even drill the bolt. back to homedepot for dewalt.