+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5.3 Swap into my 89 gmc

5.3 Swap into my 89 gmc

Hey guys im new to this forum and im looking into swapping my 89 gmc over to the 5.3. right now its a 350 tbi 5 speed 4x4 i just dropped the 350 in about 2 weeks ago and it blew up so im ready to do something different. pretty much i need to know what its going to involve to swap it over and keep my truck as a standard. any and all help will be much apreciated, Thanks!!

Do some reading, topic has been discussed to death. There are far too many aspects to the swap to try to catch em all in one post. Your main concerns are: wiring, mounts, and fuel. Everything in those topics depends on what parts you're using and what you plan to do about it.

If you want to keep your trans, you can use a 4.8l MT flywheel and bolt up your trans... lots of options and nuances to the swap though.

Welcome! I have had no experience with 89s or manual swaps. I just finished my 5.3/4l60e swap into my 1994 2500 and ill say this: when you do it (notice there is no choice of if lol) you WILL be impressed with the power difference. The tbi has maybe just slight better low end but if you want to go... the 350 just dont hold a candle to the 5.3! So welcome to the forum and good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I apreciate it after i wrote this post i did some reading and learned up on what im gonna need to use my tranny and now like u said i just gotta figure out the rest thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread