+ Reply to Thread

Thread: High-pitched noise?

Hearing a couple noises coming from my truck. And not just the notorious engine knock these 4.8s are known for.

One is a high-pitched noise that my truck gives off after running for a while. Think it might be either my exhaust colliding in my y-pipe, or my fuel pump. Anyone else here it?

Second, is a sound that happens when I first start and and take off. Hear it for about a block. Sounds like a whirring/tick coming from the right side of my engine I believe. Thought it was a loose belt but I'm not too familiar with how tight or loose my belt should be. Considered it being the fan clutch but its not.

Hope someone can help.
    FOR ALL YOUR WHEEL, TIRE, AND ACCESSORY NEEDS
    OR TO GET ME PERSONALLY CALL: 1-615-943-6514

2000 Chevy Silverado 4.8L RCSB: smoked UPD, Flowmaster exhaust, De-screened MAF, Nelson 93 hot tune. Upcoming installs: trans-go shift kit, Eaton posi, billet servo, ported and polished throttle body...Near future: 6.0/4L80E install with 150 wet shot

Sounds to me like your smog AIR pump is running. It's supposed to run for a while at startup. It may be running later too but you would just have to check. I am not sure where it is on your truck but I would think that is what your odd noise is you are hearing. It's an electric pump so it whirs as described. The clicking noise you hear may be the check valves inline with the smog plumbing.
    See my truck data in the "My Garage" section here... http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/my-ga...tml#post191709

high pitched whine could be the alternator, mine does that in the cold weather (it correlates directly with RPM).

Andrew
    Andrew
    2001 Silverado 6.0 RCLB - Home Page - 4.8 to 6.0 Swap
    Nelson Tune, Comp Cam XR265HR, Pacesetters, Hotchkis Sways, 3.42, Eaton Posi, Transgo, LS1 Fans, Magnaflow, Eagle 219's 18x9.5, Fold-a-cover

Quote Originally Posted by RedHeartbeat View Post
    Sounds to me like your smog AIR pump is running. It's supposed to run for a while at startup. It may be running later too but you would just have to check. I am not sure where it is on your truck but I would think that is what your odd noise is you are hearing. It's an electric pump so it whirs as described. The clicking noise you hear may be the check valves inline with the smog plumbing.
    Hey there. I'm kinda curious about that smog air pump you were talking about. Well, my friend seems like experiencing a similar symptom like kinjo on his vehicle and it's kinda confusing why it's doing that. So anyone has the solution to fix this smog air pump and what does it look like? Any information that might be helpful is appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread