+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: best "handheld" tuner?

Quote Originally Posted by bangbangskeetskeet View Post
    I was getting anywhere from 21-24mpg in my ecsb with a 5.3 that was just intake, exhaust and tune. Just because you have never gotten that doesn't mean it isn't true.

I agree with statements above, get a custom tune from someone who knows what they are doing. You will pay virtually the same amount and be much happier.
    You must drive like a grandma then! haha

Quote Originally Posted by michaelweston1@yahoo.com View Post
    You must drive like a grandma then! haha
    No. Just don't go wot everywhere. I cruised at 70ish. keeping the rpm under 2000 is a huge when getting good mileage with these trucks.

Right now with my BDD cam I'm still getting 17-18mpg between city and highway.
    T-RAV
    99 GMC | 5.3 | Skinny White Guy Tuned

Quote Originally Posted by bangbangskeetskeet View Post
    No. Just don't go wot everywhere. I cruised at 70ish. keeping the rpm under 2000 is a huge when getting good mileage with these trucks.

Right now with my BDD cam I'm still getting 17-18mpg between city and highway.
    so you think a 6.0 with cam and stall is getting 28 mpg... i just dont see it happening i could maybe belive 21 mpg.... me and my buddy are putting together an ls1 for my truck and im going to put a cam and stall and im hoping to get 18 mpg and i dont even think that is going to happen

Quote Originally Posted by michaelweston1@yahoo.com View Post
    so you think a 6.0 with cam and stall is getting 28 mpg... i just dont see it happening i could maybe belive 21 mpg.... me and my buddy are putting together an ls1 for my truck and im going to put a cam and stall and im hoping to get 18 mpg and i dont even think that is going to happen
    Maybe someone in here did some math wrong? hahaha jk but how are the numbers gathered? Guage or simple math?
    ECSB 2kSierra 2wd 4.8L-K&N-HPtuners-Calspeed LT's-Magnaflow-Tahoe20's-HankookRH06

waiting to go in... 3.90s, 214/220cam

Quote Originally Posted by kerrige View Post
    Maybe someone in here did some math wrong? hahaha jk but how are the numbers gathered? Guage or simple math?
    I always figure my mpg numbers per tank by dividing the number of miles driven by how much fuel was pumped.
    But according to my interceptor gauge at 55mph I get between 28-30mpg...
    T-RAV

o god...not this topic again.

The words "gas mileage" should be blocked from this site. I've gotten 26-27mpg before (when stock)...driving 60-65, riding a semi's ass. Even now, I've busted out a 18mpg (same scenario).

Driving 70 on an empty rode, I normally got 19 stock, am now getting 14-15. My blazer averages 23mpg in winter, and I was getting 26mpg in the summer. That's unheard for those things, were only rated at 19 highway from the factory. It has the same mods the silverado does (minus the lift and nitrous lol)

As I've said a million times, full synthetic, efans, ud, properly inflated tires HELP...the driver is biggest difference. I'll let my truck slow down 10mph going up hill, then accelerate to 10 over 'cruising speed' downhill. Makes a huge difference. I have one of those "fuel economy" gauges in both trucks. While I'll agree it's not 100% accurate, it atleast shows "behaviors" to use. I lose 2-3 mpg if I use my cruise control (though probably don't upset as many people behind me)

As far as tuners...I LOVED my bully dog. For relatively stock trucks, they do the job. I was NOT impressed with the hypercrap. Predators are supposedly pretty decent as well (though not as simple as the bullydog). If you can pick up a handheld CHEAP and don't plan on getting crazy with the truck, go for it. If you're paying full price or plan on ever running a cam/nitrous/etc, just go with a Nelson/Casey/etc tune.
    Last edited by oleshifty; 03-10-2011 at 04:21 PM.
    blown transmissions are about as useful as 97% of the guys on this forum

Liar!
    The blazer has nitrous!
    Sponsored by Taylor Wires!
    Sponsored by PowerMaster!!
    Sponsored by FROZEN BOOST!
    Sponsored by US Speedo!

shhhhhhhh!

and it doesn't count...I'm too scared to fill the bottle
    blown transmissions are about as useful as 97% of the guys on this forum

just some handy info for you guys calculating mileage. i believe you can get 25mpg plus out of a truck but i doubt everyone is doing it this easy.

if you have changed gears or tire size then your speedo may be off. if even by a mph that can turn to a huge difference over hundreds of miles. and if your speedo is off then your odometer will be off. so now all results are flawed. this could be a simple change that people overlook. just a thought

as far as hand held. just spend the same money and get a custom tune. even if via email you will have better results and easy changing. plus talking to a tuner not a salesman is always nice
    its just a turbo 5.3 that a couple of kids threw together

01 silverado

09 cobalt ss

Quote Originally Posted by chevrolet all the way View Post
    just some handy info for you guys calculating mileage. i believe you can get 25mpg plus out of a truck but i doubt everyone is doing it this easy.

if you have changed gears or tire size then your speedo may be off. if even by a mph that can turn to a huge difference over hundreds of miles. and if your speedo is off then your odometer will be off. so now all results are flawed. this could be a simple change that people overlook. just a thought

as far as hand held. just spend the same money and get a custom tune. even if via email you will have better results and easy changing. plus talking to a tuner not a salesman is always nice
    When I had my tune I made sure to go out and measure my tire height so that everything was perfect.
    T-RAV

+ Reply to Thread