+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 4.8/5.3 block limits

4.8/5.3 block limits

I've heard that a 4.8/5.3 block can be taken all the way up to a 383 - 3.905" bore and 4.000" stroke. Is this correct?

~ Forged engine of some type ~ Ball bearing turbo of an unconfirmed size ~ 4L8000 trans ~ Beefy fuel system ~

yep, probably be a good idea to have the block sonic tested but most will be ok to a 3.905 bore
    2007 RCSB|DTR81 built LSx 3xx|PRC|NX|BOGART|MSD|QUICKFUEL 950 E85|4L80|FTI Converters|Smith RaceCraft|Racepak
    midweststreetcars.com

That's as far as I would go with the bore anyways. What exactly is sonic testing anyways? The use of sound waves to determine the structural integrity of a solid metal object? Oh, and will the block clear a 4.000" crank?

~ Forged engine of some type ~ Ball bearing turbo of an unconfirmed size ~ 4L8000 trans ~ Beefy fuel system ~

I have no idea what they do to it to be honest, that just what "they" say to do lol

Yes it will clear a 4" crank, just have to space the windage tray out
    2007 RCSB|DTR81 built LSx 3xx|PRC|NX|BOGART|MSD|QUICKFUEL 950 E85|4L80|FTI Converters|Smith RaceCraft|Racepak
    midweststreetcars.com

Quote Originally Posted by parker View Post
    I have no idea what they do to it to be honest, that just what "they" say to do lol

Yes it will clear a 4" crank, just have to space the windage tray out
    it will clear once you clearence it, if you just slap a 4'' crank in the crank will hit the bottom of the cylinders it just takes a little grinding action
    74 Austin Morris Mini 1000 - Daily Coil Spring conversion, lowered, Disc Brake conversion
    FOR SALE: 04 RC/LB Duramax -12 second tow pig, built Allison, Tune, and supporting mods
    FOR SALE: 03 Silverado SS -DBRods built 40X, DP, Suspension. Going for fast

The ones we've put together didn't require any clearencing. Interesting...I guess you ran into this problem?
    midweststreetcars.com

Aluminium blocks need clearancing. Iron doesnt

Quote Originally Posted by parker View Post
    The ones we've put together didn't require any clearencing. Interesting...I guess you ran into this problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by DBRODS View Post
    Aluminium blocks need clearancing. Iron doesnt
    There you go, ive never seen an iron one go together however have seen a few aluminums that went together with out clearencing. Now that i think about it i remember hearing that the aluminum ones need clearencing is because its the sleaves that come down so far.
    74 Austin Morris Mini 1000 - Daily Coil Spring conversion, lowered, Disc Brake conversion
    FOR SALE: 04 RC/LB Duramax -12 second tow pig, built Allison, Tune, and supporting mods
    FOR SALE: 03 Silverado SS -DBRods built 40X, DP, Suspension. Going for fast

Sonic testing- they use sonic waves to know thick the block is. How close you are to the water jackets. They can also be used to to see which way the bore can be shifted to get the thickness the same around the whole cylinder so it will be stronger.

+ Reply to Thread